Monday, September 20, 2010

Kitchen Makeover

This post has been a long time in the making. We actually started our "makeover" on Christmas 2009.

First of all, here's a shot of our kitchen before we made any changes....


Kevin surprised me on Christmas with a new stainless steel dishwasher. The dishwasher we had worked great, except for the heating element that dries the dishes. That had been broken for years. So after the dishes were washed, I'd have to prop open the door and let the dishes air dry. I didn't even ask for this gift, so it was a nice surprise! I wasn't expecting it. We decided that we'd eventually replace all the appliances, (one at a time, of course) to match the stainless dishwasher.


Well, a few days after Christmas, our microwave went out. It just stopped heating food! So we went to RC Willey. And guess what happened? We ended up purchasing the rest of the appliances to match. We don't have enough will power or patience to do one-at-a-time I guess. Here are the girls "helping" Kevin install the new range/oven.




If I had my way, I would have changed out the countertops first. I was SO tired of this faux-granite green formica. I actually picked it out in the year 2000 when we were building this house. How times have changed. I hated it. So we found a company that we liked, that was willing to let us pay off the new granite countertops in 6 months. So we did!

Here's the last pics of the old countertops before we took them out forever. And all those wires by the undercabinet TV will soon be hidden, thanks to Kevin...



Notice how the end of the counter doesn't "hang over" like the rest of it. That always bothered me, because to sit there, your knees would hit, and you'd have to lean way over. So we had the new countertop extended out so it hangs over like the rest. And we had them extend it out a couple of inches on the long side as well. I love all the extra counterspace!







We got the new countertops in February 2010. They are already paid off! The color we picked was called Venetian Gold. Here's a shot of it, and the new under-cabinet lighting that Kevin installed. Notice the wiring behind the TV is now out of sight! Yippee!


Starting the tile..... (March-April 2010)



A shot of the tile, the new faucet, shelf, & undermount sink....



And grouting....




And here's the finished product........Ta Daaaa! I love my kitchen. :)

7 comments:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I LOVE it too. We just need to do ours now- (someday in the far future).

Superwoman said...

wow! this looks great! Congrats on a beautiful new kitchen! hee hee, I saw the pictre of the grout going in and thought "wow, someone knows how to take a good picture". lol. It is a good picture!

Mark and Kattie said...

It is such a huge change, it looks great!

Kristen said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!! I love the shelf behind the sink! Can't wait to see it in person!!

Jessica said...

AWESOMENESS!!! I love it!

Jessica said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Mindy said...

Kitchen looks GREAT!!! Good job, huge difference, it looks so much brighter. I love it!