Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bee update....

So here's an update on the bee thing. I called the bee guy Sunday morning since he apparently never made it over to get them Saturday evening. He told me he drove around on Saturday for 4 hours looking for my house and couldn't find it. Poor guy! I felt bad. So I met him at Harmons and guided him to my house.
The first thing he did was spray the bees with sugar water to keep them "busy". He didn't even put his protective stuff on to do that! Crazy.

Then he put the box under the bees (after he put on his bee hat & gloves of course), and shook it off the branch. You should have heard the buzzing! It was creepy. I have a video of it, but I couldn't post it on blogger for some reason. It's not working!


After he shook it off, he stood here for a while with the lid propped open. The bees go in the box to be with the queen. Isn't he a cute old man? He was so nice. :)


Then he safely got to the ground, set the box down, swept some of the bees into the box, then propped the lid open with his broom, and we watched for about 10 or 15 minutes as most of the bees went into the box. It was pretty cool. At this time I was outside with him, asking him all kinds of questions, like "where do I get a hat like that?" and "what's the purpose of yellowjackets, hornets, and wasps?" He said they do pollinate, but that's about it. He owns beehives and lives in Magna. This hive only weighed 4 pounds or so, but he said he once got one that weighed 17 pounds!

Most of the bees went in the box, but he said not all of them will. He said the remainders would hang out for a while, then go back to where they came from. I said "If they don't, I'll be calling you again!" Now the remaining stragglers are clinging to the branch again, and I'm hoping they'll leave soon. I went out there earlier today to check them out. Then I was in my car driving someone home, and there was a bee crawling on my skirt! I freaked out a little bit. I still feel like they're crawling all over me.

Bye bye Beeezzzz!

6 comments:

Dawna said...

I just told Shane "Tia having bees in her backyard would be like me having Great White Sharks in my bathtub." I can't believe they chose YOUR house!

Mark and Kattie said...

That is so crazy! I would be freaking out too!

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Like I said before, I wouldn't be going in that backyard for a long time. Are they particular to a certain kind of tree? We are buying trees tonight so I might call you. EEEEk! I'm already itchy just thinking about it.

Mindy said...

QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT! That's all I can say! Thanks for the fun story and great pictures to go along with it!

Frank Cole said...

You need to read the children's book, The Bee-keeper of Orn. We have a copy you can borrow. That old man seriously could have posed for the illustrations.

kimbob said...

that is crazy but glad he was nice and had no fear of taking care of them