Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Baby Update

Sooo, I had my doctors appointment on Monday morning. She said she was surprised she didn't see me come back to the hospital over the weekend. She did the regular measurements and listened for the heartbeat.

As she was feeling around, she said it's possible the baby could be breach. She said the position where she was hearing the heart, and the feel of the bumps made it seem that his bum was down and head was up. She wanted to send me in for an ultrasound to confirm. (Why they don't have an ultrasound in her office is beyond me). She said if he is breach, they can try to turn him. I can also do certain "moves" or "positions" at home to try to get him to flip back on his own. If he was still breach by next Monday, (7/18), they could just admit me to the hospital, flip him, then induce me.

I was really worried at this point because I knew about the possibility of getting a c-section. I really didn't want to have one. I know it's not the worst thing in the world, but the thought of it just terrified me.

So I went in yesterday afternoon for my ultrasound, and she said the baby was head down. I was so relieved! She did some other measurements, and gave me some pictures. It's crazy how much bigger this baby is now, compared to the last ultrasound I had at 20 weeks. At 20 weeks, the baby's body filled the screen. Now, just the giant head fills the screen!

So my doctor called me a couple of hours later, and she apologized for making me worry. She said they also measured the amount of fluid in the ultrasound, and I have a lot of it. She said when there's that much fluid, it can make it hard for the baby to "engage" or "drop". Which could explain why none of my other 3 babies ever dropped, and I always have to be induced.

So she said, "Do you want to just wait it out and see what happens, or go ahead and schedule an induction for next week?" I didn't even have to think twice. I said, "Let's schedule the induction!" I just figure that if I did wait around, I'd end up waiting around until 41 weeks (again), and I'd end up being induced anyway. Originally, I planned to wait until up to 41 weeks with this pregnancy so I could try to go into labor on my own, since I'd never experienced that before. After what happened this weekend, with the whole "unknown" factor, being sent home, feeling the contractions, and worrying about what to do with the other 3 kids at the last minute, I feel like I've experienced enough, and I just want this baby out! I really don't know if he would come on his own before 41 weeks.

This way I can get the kids babysitters worked out, I won't be up all night wondering if I'm in Labor for real or not, and we can just get the ball rolling!

So the doctor checked with the hospital for next Monday, 7/18. She called me back and said there were already 5 inductions scheduled for that day, so I probably wouldn't get in. There were 4 for Tuesday, so I might get in Tuesday, but maybe not. But those inductions are all for medical reasons, and mine is not, so I'm not the priority. But Sunday was wide open, so we scheduled it for this Sunday, 7/17/11!

I'm so excited! :)


Angie said...

Yay! For finally knowing your day! I always have to get induced too. It's really nice to know when you are going in so you can schedule it, but I know what you mean about wanting to experience going into labor on your own as well. Hope it all goes well!

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

So glad you don't need a c-section and YEAH for Sunday. Can't wait for the update!

Mark and Kattie said...

I am so excited to hear the update, I can't wait to see that adorable little guy!

Brianna said...

Wahoo! Can't wait to meet the new addition :) He's gonna be so cute!!

Jessica said...

It's amazing how every pregnancy and every mother's experience is different. I'm so excited for you! I hope he and Joe will be friends.

Melissa said...

Yay! An end is in sight - excited for you and what's to come within a week.

Kelly said...

Oh, I so remember the sheet anxiety of worrying I would be sent home and not wanting to be! So I feel you. Yay for less than a week until baby comes!

Amy said...

Can't wait to meet this little guy! I'm excited for you and your family. Good luck!

Mindy said...

I'm late reading this, I hope he's already here, but YAY!!!