Thursday, October 18, 2012

Myrna

I have been putting off blogging about this because it's just hard. It's hard to talk about, hard to go back and re-live that horrible week. It's hard to look at the pictures again because it brings to surface the flood of emotions we felt almost 5 months ago.

But it's something I need to document. I owe it to her, I owe it to my kids, and their kids. This is my journal. And it also reminds me of the outpouring of love and support we had from so many wonderful friends and family members during an extremely difficult time.

In the early morning hours of Mother's Day, May 13, 2012, Kevin's dad called to let him know his mother had passed away. We were woken from a deep sleep, so I had to keep asking Kevin, "What did you say? Did you say YOUR mom? She what? She passed away? What do you mean? How? What happened?" He didn't know any of the answers. I thought it was a dream, until the tears started to fall as we hugged and he rushed out the door.

It was completely unexpected. She had recently had knee replacement surgery and was currently (temporarily) using a wheelchair. She always had to have help getting up to go to the bathroom. During the night, as her husband was helping her to get up, she felt light headed and sort of passed out. 911 was called, but they couldn't revive her. That's it. We don't have any more answers than that as far as what the actual cause was.


The family immediately rushed to the house. I stayed home with the kids for a few more hours, since it was so early and they were all still alseep. I finally took my kids to my mom so I could go over. Myrna was still there, but her spirit was gone. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to go through. We were all completely devastated. The police were still there, as well as the bishop and some other neighbors as well.

They finally took her from her home later that morning.

And the rest is just a blur. That entire week was spent grieving, planning, crying, trying to get things together for the viewing, funeral, burial. Not much sleep happened those first few nights. Kevin spent many hours over at the house trying to get things ready. He would come home at 2:00, 3:00, or 4:00 in the morning, only to get up early and do it all again.

I cannot believe how much love and support we had from our friends and family. Our dear neighbors watched our kids nearly every day that week. After coming home from the funeral home to pick out the casket and make the arrangements, we came home to a clean house, dinner in the fridge, and a giant basket of goodies. I have the best ward family, ever. They really helped to ease our burden that week.

The viewing was held on May 17, 2012. The funeral was Friday, May 18, and on Saturday, May 19, we drove her to her first home of Bedford, Wyoming for her burial next to her parents at the Bedford Cemetary.


Hundreds and hundreds of people came to the viewing. The line went clear around the church. It shows you what kind of a woman she really was, and how much she will be missed.

Friday during the funeral, it was pouring rain. Then it cleared up right at the end!
The entire chapel and overflow was packed with wonderful people.

Myrna's husband and siblings.

With a permit, we were able to drive her to Wyoming. We stopped at the farm she was raised on, one more time, so she could say goodbye to the barn she loved so much.

Next to her mom & dad. I can only imagine the wonderful reunion they had!

Her siblings are wonderful!

Life has definitely changed since she's been gone. She was always so good at being organized, and keeping us all updated on the next family event. You never really appreciate all that a person really does until they are gone. But I am so thankful for all the time we were able to spend with her. 

One of the things that upsets me the most is that my kids won't grow up having her around. Bailee and Trinidee will remember her, I'm sure, but I'm not sure that my boys will. I will be determined to keep reminding them of what a wonderful woman she was, and show them pictures often.

We had the Holy Ghost with us much of that week. We are all so thankful for the gospel & the knowledge it brings that we will see her again. She has built such a strong family, and I'm so thankful for the son she raised that I could have for an eternal companion.

We love you Myrna!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Tia, I am just in tears reading through this and seeing the amazing pictures. I didn't know her, but she sounds amazing. I am so sorry for your family's loss but I am happy to know that it isn't the end. So grateful for eternal families.

Angie said...

I'm glad you blogged about this as hard as it was to do so. This post totally brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful woman!

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I'm in tears too! What a wonderful sentiment to her. The few times I got the chance to meet her she was wonderful, kind, and so welcoming.
It makes it so real and really wanting to hold precious those dear chances we get to spend with our family. I'm happy to have the knowledge of the plan of salvation it is a comfort.