We've finally finished the baby's dresser! I found it on KSL, and this is the only "before" picture I have, taken off of the ad. It doesn't show it, but the top of the hutch was actually missing.
When I went to pick it up, I realized the front of the drawers were plastic, not wood. The top of the dresser was formica, which I knew wouldn't take paint well, not to mention it wouldn't look very good. Parts of the dresser & hutch were real wood, and parts were the "fake" stuff.
But the seller had been so kind, and she hauled it all the way from Lakeshore, which is like an hour away. So I felt like I had to buy it. I felt bad. I will remember next time to MAKE SURE I ask all of the questions beforehand.
The drawers were made of wood, and they were sturdy. So we bought it. I figured I'd give it a try, and if it didn't work out, I could just sell it and try again. But I knew it had potential to be something beautiful. It was $50.
So even though the drawer-fronts were plastic, I sanded them anyway, and it worked. It took the paint well. Kevin removed the top of the dresser, and we purchased a piece of solid wood to replace it.
Here's the hutch after painting. I thought white bead-board would look cute on the back, and we had a sheet just laying around in our garage!